Hello my Wheatless fans .

Feel free to share your experiences , recipes and don't forget to give my recipes a try. Mom tested kid approved ! Wheat free people UNITE . We shall not suffer in this wheat eating / wearing world .

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cheese biscuit sliders

Originally called Baking powder biscuits in the ol Betty Crocker cookbook .

Nothing like a burger on a nice summer (or sunny) day . I made some cheese biscuits this afternoon for my lunch (mmmm buttery goodness ) and had plenty left over at dinner time so I used them as slider buns because they are small . Plus I just couldn't bring myself to wrap another lettuce burger or eat it with a fork bleck. These biscuits are a bit dense like a cornbread so I might try this recipe using a 3 flour home made mix but I am glad I tried the premixed bag just so I have my options . Another quick note : they turned out a little more salty that I thought they would so make sure you don't use a very salty cheese if you decide to use it .

Ingredients 
2 cups all purpose flour ( from Kinnikinnick )
1/4 cup shortening
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded cheese ( or more !)
3/4 cup milk * you may not need it all


Heat over to 375F . Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl . 
Cut shortening into dry ingredients until fine crumbs are formed . 
Slowly add milk . Only enough so that the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and can form a ball. 
Flour your surface that you are going to knead you dough on so it wont stick . 
You may need to re flour if it begins to stick . 
Knead dough 20-30 times . Pat or roll into a 1/2 inch thickness .
Cut with 2 1/2 inch biscuit/cookie cutter .
Place on ungreased cookie sheet . 
*Tip : Place inch apart for crusty sides or touching for soft sides
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. 
Remove from cookie sheet and place on cooling rack .
Serve .



No comments:

Post a Comment